Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Meet the Skiers

Taking a cue from our Alpine Team's blog (http://smcskiteam.blogspot.com/) we thought we'd give you some basic biographical info on our 8 Nordic Team racers this year...

Name: Colin Delaney
Hometown: Lake Placid, NY
High School: National Sports Academy
Class of: 2013
Major: Environmental Engineering
Skate or Classic?: Skate
Favorite distance: 10k-15k
Favorite ski venue: Mt Van Hoevenberg
Favorite trail to ski: Porter Mountain Loop for training, Biathlon 5k for racing
This season I am most looking forward to: "Having fun and improving on results from last year"
Most memorable race from the past: 20k skate 2010 SLU Carnival. Also, the Team Sprint From the 2009 World Junior Nordic Combined Championships in Stebske Pleso, Slovakia.

Name: Silke Hynes
Hometown: Burlington, Ontario
High School: Milton District HS
Class of: 2014
Major: Environmental Studies
Skate or Classic?: Skate, with a gun on my back
Favorite distance: 7.5k Biathlon
Favorite ski venue: Canmore
Favorite trail to ski: Canmore 1.5k Biathlon Loop
This season I am most looking forward to: "Racing straight Nordic for the first time. I'm so used to doing Biathlon that something new will be fun."
Most memorable race from the past: 2010 US Youth Team trials. I did some of my best shooting, some of my best skiing, and I had a lot of fun.

Name: Katlyn Keane
Hometown: Bethel, ME
High School: Telstar Regional HS
Class of: 2013
Major: Spanish
Skate or Classic?: "I thought I liked skate better, but now that Lary taught me how to classic I'm not so sure"
Favorite distance: 10k
Favorite ski venue: Trapp Family Lodge
Favorite trail to ski: Breadloaf Touring Center, First Loop -> Craig's Hill -> Figure 8 for racing. For training, Sugar Road at Trapps.
This season I am most looking forward to: "A stronger team than last year both on and off the trails...Preseason!"
Most memorable race from the past: 2010 SLU Carnival. At the end of the skate, my first 10k, I asked the guy who was collecting bibs what place I got. Since he was putting the lid on the bib bin we can all guess what that was.

Name: Samantha Martell
Hometown: Georgia, VT
High School: BFA St Albans
Class of: 2012
Major: Math and Secondary Education
Skate or Classic?: Classic
Favorite distance: 10k
Favorite ski venue: Craftsbury
Favorite trail to ski: Trapps Race Loop
This season I am most looking forward to: "The UVM Carnival. I love when my friends and roommates come and watch local races and cheer us on!"
Most memorable race from the past: The 15k classic at Trapps last year was pretty memorable. I was very surprised the 15k ended up being my best race of the season. In high school I loved the 5k skates, so this was a big turn around.

Name: Gabrielle Naranja
Hometown: Fort Kent, ME
High School: Community HS of Fort Kent
Class of: 2014
Major: Undecided
Skate or Classic?: I really love classic, but tend to do better in skate
Favorite distance: Who's counting?
Favorite venue: Tenth Mountain
Favorite trail to ski: One that hasn't been skied before
This season I am most looking forward to: "Eating up the hills."
Most memorable race from the past: 2010 County Ski Meet because of the girl's team pyramid

Name: Robert "Bear" Sitzer
Hometown: Lenox, MA
High School: Lenox Memorial HS
Class of: 2012
Majors: Business/Accounting
Skate or Classic?: Skate
Favorite distance: 20k
Favorite venue: Sugarloaf or Prospect
Favorite trail to ski: Mixed Woods at Notchview Reservation
This season I am most looking forward to: "Looking forward to racing against new and old competitors, as well as chilling with my team a lot."
Most memorable race from the past: (Bear skipped this question)

Name: Larissa Spaulding
Hometown: Jackson, NH
High School: Kennett HS
Class of: 2013
Majors: French/Environmental Studies
Skate or Classic?: They're both kind of awesome
Favorite distance: 5k
Favorite venue: Jackson Touring Center
Favorite trail to ski: The Wave at Jackson
This season I am most looking forward to: "Finally getting a chance to race in college after missing last season after knee surgery."
Most memorable race from the past: J2 sprints in 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment