Sunday, December 19, 2010

Meet Lary

Lary Martell is the assistant coach of the team. Like the info for the team itself here's a little bio on Big Lar:

Hometown: Georgia Vermont
High school and town, year of graduation: BFA St. Albans, class of 1975
College, year of graduation: Johnson State College, completed in 1979
Major(s), minor(s:) BA Business Administration
Occupation: besides coaching, Real Estate Development with a concentration in new home construction.
Preference - Skate or Classic: I really enjoy skating on hard packed snow with rolling terrain, but given a choice I would ski Classic everyday.
Favorite distance: As a Master ski racer I like 50K races.
Favorite ski venue: There no place like Craftsbury.
Favorite trail to ski: I would have to go with Sam’s Run at Craftsbury.
My favorite race course: The Bogburn.
This season I am most looking forward to: This season on the men’s side I am looking forward seeing Colin and Bear hammer the competition, leaving them looking at the results page and shaking their heads in disbelief.
The women’s team is wide open, if you gave Gabby a drum and put her in a pink suit with long ears the "Energizer battery" people would sue for copy right infringements. Denise has a competitive edge and a motor to back it up. Her potential is unlimited. Katlyn improved with every race last year, but still has a lots to prove. She has been putting in the time needs to do so. Larissa has solid technique to build on and her conditioning has improved weekly. She has the motivation to put all it together this winter. I expect to see her climb the results page in every race. Sam has proven that when she is on she can mix it up with the fast kids. With the consistent hard work she has put in for preseason I am looking forward to Sam placing well with consistency. Silke skates with power and as she trains with quality over distance and long intervals, she will be able to better use her upper body strength and technique to the get to the finish line with solid results. Over all I am looking forward to the St Michael’s Women’s Nordic team stepping up and being a big part of college racing this season.
My most memorable race: “Bolton Valley December, 1975” I was a Freshmen on the BFA high school Nordic team. It was the first year BFA offered Nordic skiing and our first race of the season, and yes, my 1st Nordic race. “It was back when skis were made of wood and men of steel” (I had to throw that in). The race was an individual start. I started toward the back of the field. I remember flying by all of these guys thinking “boy, Burlington High School has a lot of skiers on their team” It was't until I skied through the finish and handed my bib to the “bib lady” that I realized that all the Bibs were printed with Burlington High School. Right, I may not have been the sharpest knife in the drawer but I was the most excited about ski racing. Its been nearly 40 years since that race and I am still excited about ski racing. I have raced in countless races and have made hundreds of friends on the trails. I look forward to many more races and the good times and friends they bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment