Thursday, August 14, 2014

A friendly reminder from Julia!

When you reach the end of summer and it's been a while since you've seen your ski team family, here's a reminder to stay safe both in and out of training so you can make it back in the fall.


Hello skiers!

This week has left me thinking about our team and the season that lies ahead. I am dying to pull on my wizard tights, climb up Ridge Road and eat some of Silke's original flavored donuts. I want to fine-tune my shame-less snowplow and my half-ass herringbone until I am the best of the best. But most of all, I am looking forward to van rides. Riding to and from Sleepy is my favorite team ritual. Van rides are our family time. We talk to each other about our classes and our weekends. We listen to music, eat pretzel gems and succumb to snugs. And without fail, we fight. Apart from feminism, our favorite topic over which to argue is seat belts.

I am writing this message in hopes that I will reach those of you who swear that you would rather "live free or die" than buckle up. On Wednesday I was rear-ended by a drunk driver in a hit-and-run. Even though I was wearing my seatbelt, this crash has changed my summer. Because I am still in pain, I am going to P.T. for my neck and back, and taking a break from training. I'm lucky that I will only lose a few weeks on roller-skis, and not a whole season. Or my life. 

When people text while they drive or drive while they are drunk, their choices can affect us, yet their decisions are beyond our control. Wearing a seatbelt is one decision that is entirely your own. And I hope you choose to.

Here's to a safe rest of the summer. I love you all more than you care to know.

Stay neat.

Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment